Monday, September 8, 2008

Japanese Cotton Soft Cheesecake

My dad has the pickiest taste in cheesecakes eg can't be to sweet, no biscuit base, has to be light, prefer no coconut etc - but we hadn't been able to find this at many patisseries. So I decided what better place but the internet to find this "Father's Day Perfect Cheesecake". Took me 2 days to find it actually... may also be because there was great amount of procrastination. Here is the result of it:

Here are some step by step pitures I took while baking the cake and at the bottom is the recipe for this cake I found on this lovely website (thank you very much!): http://www.dianasdesserts.com/

PS the stuff in the brackets is just some optional suggestions and tips ^^ and my dad loved it!





Ingredients:
140g castor sugar
6 egg whites
6 egg yolks
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
50g butter
250g cream cheese
100 ml fresh milk
1 tbsp. lemon juice (I used orange oil instead and vanilla essence)
60g cake flour (if you don't have cake flour what happens is that for every 1 cup of cake flour = 1 cup plain flour - 2tbsp)
20g cornflour (cornstarch)
1/4 tsp. salt

Instructions:

  1. Melt cream cheese, butter and milk over a double boiler. Cool the mixture. Fold in the flour, the cornflour, egg yolks, lemon juice and mix well.
  2. Whisk egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy. Add in the sugar and whisk until soft peaks form. (I like to do the peaks a bit stiffer because it makes the cake a little lighter and held it up better but not so stiff that its like a meringue ^^)
  3. Add the cheese mixture to the egg white mixture and mix well. Pour into a 8-inch round cake pan (Lightly grease and line the bottom and sides of the pan with greaseproof baking paper or parchment paper).
  4. Bake cheesecake in a water bath for 1 hours 10 minutes or until set and golden brown at 160 degrees C . (I only baked mine for about 50 minutes and had to turn down the heat and placed a bit of foil on top to stop it from burning. It is also maybe better to heat the water bath before you bake your cake while you are heating your oven)

Makes 1 (8-inch) cheesecake, 12 servings.

Bon Appetit!

cupcake ^^

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No biscuit base? No coconut? Sacrilegious! but cake looks awesommee! save me some :P

Helene said...

I love Japanese style cheesecake! So much better than the regular one...well in my opinion :)

Snooky doodle said...

this looks so nice anf fluffy. I don t like american cheesecakes they are so cream loaded. This looks so good.