Monday, August 4, 2008

Bills - Darlinghurst, Sydney.

It's Sunday - not a cloud in the sky for the first weekend in yonks - you're in Darlinghurst and hungry - where would you go? For me, the answer was Bills. Simple dining with the at-home vibe setting for the Darlinghurst location. It seems a fact amongst our group of friends that Bills Darlinghurst or Bills Woollahra's breakfast experience in terms presentation, satisfaction and quality are better than the Surry Hills one (preferred for dinner).

I tend to become extremely disgruntled when I can't find parking within a certain time frame of looking and doing 'laps'; this varies at different locations with only one measurement: time of day. However, the secluded and residential location of Bills Darlinghurst makes it almost too easy to find parking: less than a minute.

As expected on a Sunday morning, the queue runs quite deep; as we join the queue and quickly burn time by snapping pictures of the surroundings, one that especially caught my eye is the 'Corn Exchange House' right next to Bills - what is this? we've yet to still figure out.

As the line shortens, we're seated on the communal table with magazines and a fruit display as the centrepiece. Water and menu arrive promptly.


We already know what we want to share. Here Comes The Food.


Sweet corn fritters, roast tomato, spinach and bacon: I must admit I'm a bit anal when eating dishes that have multiple layers such as gourmet burgers that become a mess when broken carelessly. I have to eat it in such a manner that no crumbs or small bits are left astray before I proceed onto the next mouthful; and the process rinses and repeats until the meal is finished.

The tomato is cooked to tenderness, the bacon crispy but sadly far too salty and overpowering the sweetness of the corn when eaten separately. Overall, it's still good and I'm not disappointed.

Scrambled organic eggs with sourdough toast: As usual these can't be beaten for consistency. Everytime I've had breakfast at Bills the quality has never come short. The consistency is unmatched and I just can't seem to replicate it in my own kitchen: elastic, milky, creamy and oh-so-good. Grounding some fresh pepper over the eggs and greedily layering the eggs in amounts that I know won't fit my mouth - the bits leave the sides of my lips with bits of egg and with some of it falling to the plate.

Winter porridge with stewed rhubarb and brown sugar: the presentation is clean, however the sides quickly are dispersed into the porridge - a collision of colour. It reminds me of the way I'd make it at home .... especially with my tendency to sweet things as all the brown sugar is added without hestitation. The temperature is just right and the rhubarb is not overpowering when mixed in. However, I'm not quite use to adding sour cream to porridge, so it stays unused, apart from a few generous tastes (just in case to remind me what it tastes like!).

Bills Darlinghurst
433 Liverpool St
Darlinghurst NSW 2010
Tele: 9360 9631

Opening Hours:
Mon-Sat 7:30-16:00
Sun 8:30 - 16:00

No comments: