Monday, August 4, 2008

Home Cooking - Crepes

Mmmmmm my first post and my first post on home cooking! This sudden burst of inspiration in the form of a "little chef" has sparked my interest in experimenting in the kitchen. Cooking Guide: Can't Decide What To Eat? on NDS has got my inner chef on the move.

My first recipe from the guide was the Apple Crumble which I was very pleased with as most of the apples ended up being soft but not mushy and the crumble was sweet with the right "crumbly" texture, but enough about that and onto my latest experiment.... the Crepes au Sucre!

That's just a fancy french name for sugar crepes ^^ which sound tasty don't they? So here comes the.... ingredients :P
(The amounts is for approximately 4 servings. I ended up with 4 large crepes and a mini baby crepe)
100g plain flour
30g granulated sugar
pinch of salt
2 eggs
200ml milk
30g butter
and more granulated sugar for sprinkling on afterwards

Begin by sifting the flour in to a mixing bowl and add the salt and sugar. Make a well in the middle, beat the eggs and add in and mix and then add milk and mix. Melt the butter in a pan over low heat until slightly brown and add into the mixing bowl. Stir the butter in as quickly as possible and then cling wrap and stand for half a day. I ended up leaving mine longer, about a day in the fridge, but it didn't seem to affect it.











Ok, time to pan fry the crepes whee! Use a non-stick pan (or u can butter up/oil up a normal pan) and over low heat pour enough batter to create a thinnnnnnn layer. Quickly spread the batter so it evens out by tilting the pan or I used the back of the soup ladle to help spread. I think used a long asian chopstick to flip when the edges started to brown.












When both sides are nice and browned remove from pan and fold or roll up. Up to you guys to b creative and decorate them ;) Mine are kinda boring but u can add different toppings to make them interesting.

Here are the ones I made but other suggestions include using all different kind of fruits like apples, bananas, oranges, mangoes and kiwi fruits and add some fresh cream OR some ice creamm mmmmmm with sauceeess like chocolattee, caramel, strawberryy.. mmmm be creatiivveee oh oh and another i really wanna try is peanut butter crepe with chocolate ice cream ^^















These are granulated sugar and lemon crepes. Too bad I didn't have any icing sugar :( need to work on presentation and food photography haha -___-.



















My strawberry and honey crepe. Trying to be artistic haha and just experimenting around and mainly having fun^^ The milk is Over the Moon Jersey milk from Good Living Growers' Market which is totally creamy and awesome.

Well that is all from my crepeing and I will definitely be making them again cos they were nice and soft when warm but gain a nice crunch to it when it cools and since there is such a huge variety on the toppings you can put on them they will never get boring so all I can say is mmmmm sugary crepe goodness.

FFichiban

No comments: