Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Home Cooking - Peanut Butter Centres

ITS... peanut butter chocolate time peanut butter chocolate timme... peanut budda chocolate... peanut budda chocolate... peanut budda chocolate and a baseball bat...

Ok, enough singing/dancing bananas and onto my latest kitchen experiment... the peanut butter centres, which I shamelessly stole from Su-Yin of The Journal of a Girl who loves to Cook. So a big thanks to her for the recipe and much love from us at Here Comes the Food. I am also a very big PB fan but I am into the crunchy crunchy types, so the crunchier the better! I've been eyeing these PB centres for a while now and finally gave them a shot and to my surprise the ones I made were not too sweet as I expected. Anyway I'll describe them in more detail later on because
here comes the ingredients.

Chocolate Dough:
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup dutch cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup softened butter
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 large egg
1/2 tablespoon milk

PB filling:
1/4 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter


For the chocolate dough sift the plain flour, cocoa powder and baking soda into a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl beat the butter, sugars and peanut butter together then add in the egg and milk. Su-Yin also added 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla into her chocolate dough but since I didn't have any I left it out so mine would taste different to hers. I would recommend adding in the vanilla as it would give the dough another dimension of taste and smell. Now add the flour mixture to the egg mixture 1/3 at a time until fully incorporated.


For the PB filling all you need to do is mix the peanut butter with the icing sugar until its smooth.

Form the chocolate dough into balls and flatten them on the palm of your hand. Scoop some PB filling into the dough and seal it up evenly like Su-Yin or unevenly like mine for a nice veining of PB in your centres haha. Flatten dough balls slightly on a baking tray and bake them at 190 degrees C for about 8 minutes or until there is a some slight cracking on the surface. Allow to cool for a little while before serving with a nice tall glass of cold milk ^^ YUMM! I ended up with about 10 PB centres with a mini baby one as usual haha. These fatter ones were mine.


Assessing my PB centres I think there was a nice balance between my chooclate dough which was not sweet at all but had a cocoa flavour and the PB which was sweeter and richer. Even though the peanut butter I used was homemade one from Nutshack and is not as sweet as the ones in supermarkets. These smaller/neater ones were made by Pupu.


While waiting for the PB centres to bake I had some fun with my camera and my Kerokerokeroppi cup.

Apparantly I am the the one doing the shuffling to the right in the red shirt and Pupu is the one wearing blue and going YAY! Nicholas Lim is the suprised looking one in the other red shirt, timmeh is the one thats napping and D is the one with the squiggle squiggle on his head. I thought this cup was necessary since Pupu made the baby PB centre with a smiley face .


So all in all I was quite happy with these PB centres as they were very soft and gooey with little crunchy bits of peanuts. They were also not too sweet so you can just keep eating and eating them along with some milk ^^!

PS Cookie Monster is the awesommmee! They shouldnt have changed him :(

FFichiban

No comments: