Monday, August 11, 2008

Home Cooking - Tartiflette & Barramundi

Brrr... It is another cold wintery night in Sydney, so I was wrapped up in my blankies and decided to peruse through good old Cooking Guide on NDS for something to warm me up in my belly. That was when I came across this cute little recipe for a Tartiflette. I had never heard of this French dish before but the alluring picture of melted cheese had me entranced. It is a simple dish but it is a tasty one with a good combination of different flavours and melted chheessssee!! (I heart cheese)

My brother also chefed it up tonight by grilling a very delicious barramundi fillet. The flesh was very soft and tender while the garlic added to the flavour of the fish. The fish was oiled up and then oven grilled with some herbs and garlic on top.

"Right. Let's get started.", so says the NDS... ahhh technology these days. Cheery music plays in the background while the friendly, cartoon chef head sways from side to side along with it *doo dee dum dee doo*. Anyway, here comes the ingredients.

(The amount again is set for 4 servings)
400g potatoes
1 wheel of Reblochon or Camembert
1/2 onion
4 slices of bacon
30g butter + a little bit for greasing
100ml white wine (I substituted with chicken stock)
a pinch of salt
black pepper to taste

Firstly peel the potatoes and slice them into thin slices ~5 mm each, and then peel and slice the onion length-ways. Slice up your wheel of cheese into 7 mm slices and the bacon into 1cm wide strips.

Place the potatoes into a saucepan and add enough water to cover, boil the potatoes on moderate heat for 5 minutes then drain. Pre-heat oven to 230 degrees C and lightly grease an ovenproof dish with butter.

In a frying pan melt the butter over low heat, then fry the bacon until it starts to release fat. Turn the heat to moderate and add in the onion and fry until its tender and slightly coloured. Add in the potatoes and fry for a further 5 minutes or so and then add in the white wine or chicken stock. Bring it briefly to the boil and then turnoff the heat. Season to taste.

Spread the fried combination into the ovenproof dish evenly and arrange the slices of cheese on top. (Since I am a cheese-obsessed I also added some mozzarella for extra cheesiness :D). Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 10 minutes but mainly until the cheese turns into a beautiful golden brown. Serve while it is still hot!


Going for the long strands of yummy cheese look but that was a bit of a fail :( I also could have browned my onions more... and add more cheese... mmmmm.


Also my brother suggested that the potato was mashed instead of slices, so that could be a possible twist on this recipe. All in all though I liked this because I am a fan of all the ingredients used hahaha maybe that was why I chose this recipe as well. The flavours of each ingredient combine so well and the textures all compliment each other in my opinion. Baked goods is definitely a great winter warmer ^^!


FFichiban

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy alright! I am surprised to see you served it in a bowl though. Mine will be on a plate with some fresh greens at the side. If I do have it in a bowl, it will have a poached egg on top.

Rose said...

Thaanks for this blog post